From: keyser72@mac.com Subject: Date: April 21, 2005 3:53:51 PM CDT Hankblog

Monday, June 28, 2004

Just this side of blue

So after a hellacious week at work, I went out with some friends Saturday night to bowl and have a couple of beers. In talking over beers, I had opportunity to wax rhapsodic about Eternal Sunshine to someone who hadn't seen it yet. I made the observation that Kate Winslet made blue hair sexy to me in this movie, and that for about 5-10 minutes after seeing it the first time, I thought I wanted blue hair.

This provoked my friend Elizabeth into deviously commenting "That can still be arranged." I insisted otherwise, and threw $20 on the table saying she could not convince me to go through with it.

As someone once wrote, the best laid plans of mice and men, yadda, yadda, yadda.

In all honesty, I didn't have to do this on any level. Elizabeth and I had made plans to catch a movie at Alamo in the afternoon, but because of the hour when the movie would let out, she thought it would be impossible to get hair dye on a Sunday afternoon. I knew of a possible option, and could have just as easily not said anything.

But I got to thinking about it, and realized I have never done anything like this before in my life. This wasn't as permanent as getting a tattoo. It was just something different, a little bit crazy, and yes, maybe even a little bit foolish. But as Evil Mike told me this afternoon when I justified it by saying there was no reason not to, "Good. Anything that gets you thinking outside of the box is a good thing. More power to you."

The fact is that before a couple of years ago, I would have come up with a list of at least 20-30 different reasons NOT to do this. And all of them would have been "legitimate" in some form or fashion. But they would probably all have been boiled down by anyone who knew me more than a little bit into one word: chickenshit.

Worried about what people might say. Worried about what people might think (?!?! How freaking uptight was I then?). Worried about how I would look and for how long.

You know what. If I hated it, I could always dye it black again. No harm no foul. So what the hell. And you know what, I kinda like it.

Life's too short to live scared. So enjoy the pics, leave your thoughts in the comments. One rule though: for those of you who know me, if you're gonna be a smart ass, come strong with the cracks, or leave it at home. You have this to work with, you better come out with your best stuff. Least you can do ;-)

Thanks to Elizabeth for helping with the dye, and taking the photos. And thanks to the friends who've already seen it, and been supportive :-)