From: keyser72@mac.com Subject: Date: April 21, 2005 3:53:51 PM CDT Hankblog

Sunday, June 27, 2004

Box office, movie geekdom, and me


Via Pharyngula, Norbizness lists the movies off the top 100 grossers of all time that he has seen in a theater when they were released. I looked over the list, and was a little disheartened to see that while Norbizness can still hold his indie creds with pride having seen less than a quarter of these puppies in a theater, I have to grudgingly admit to being a tool of the studio system, as there are only 15-20 movies on this list I haven't seen.

#26 How The Grinch Stole Christmas - which is only a half truth since I did go to see it in a theater with the former spouse, and we walked out of the thing about 1/3 of the way through. First movie I have walked out of that I paid for in years and years.

#32 Bruce Almighty - It still annoys me that tripe like this can be top 50 all time, but quality work Carrey has done like Eternal Sunshine languishes in relative obscurity by comparison.

#35 My Big Fat Greek Wedding - Ultimately seen on video.

#38 Castaway - Ditto above

#41 Rush Hour 2 - Can't believe this one is up here on this list. Jackie, what happened to you?

#46 Mission Impossible 2 - Despised the first one.

#48 Austin Powers: Goldmember - The shtick was played out by this point for me.

#56 Pearl Harbor - Ugh

#66 What Women Want - Will not see it after seeing the damn Passion. Mel is not getting one more penny of my cash.

#68 Liar Liar - More Carrey crap.

#72 Planet of the Apes - Saw it on video and wonder how in the hell it managed to make this much.

#76 Top Gun - Amazingly despite the fact that my youngest brother watched this movie to absolute frigging death at home on video, I still have not seen this one.

#77 There's Something About Mary - Saw it on video, and I'm sorry folks, it really wasn't that funny. People willing to spend this much money for a joke about semen mousse makes me weep for the future.

#80 Home Alone 2 - I'm still not proud I saw the first one.

#87 Tarzan - Disney's so gone down the toilet.

#88 A Beautiful Mind - Not much interest, although since it won Best Picture I'll see it eventually to rank it among the best/worst Oscar decisions of all time.

#91 Meet the Parents - So many people talking about the damn movie just turned me off of it.

#94 Catch Me if You Can - Might be the only Spielberg I haven't seen.

#95 Big Daddy - If it ain't Punch-Drunk Love Adam Sandler, I ain't watching it.

#96 The Sound of Music - Just no interest.

#100 The Waterboy - See #95.

So 21 movies out of 100 that I haven't seen yet, and that will likely change once SpiderMan 2 comes out and bumps Waterboy out of the top 100, leaving me at a robust 20 percent not seen.

Throw notes out in the comments about any of the top 100 that you have particularly good or bad memories about.