From: keyser72@mac.com Subject: Date: April 21, 2005 3:53:51 PM CDT Hankblog: Transition notices

Thursday, April 21, 2005

Transition notices

The decision to migrate off of blogger is a done deal. I have registered a domain name, and purchased server space for hosting purposes. I have been getting a crash course in Word Press from my friend Patrick. He migrated over a month or so ago and the move has been a good one for him by all appearances.

Why make the move? For one thing, Blogger's performance has been spotty of late. Several of the other bloggers I read who use Blogger have been noting their dissatisfaction and talked of moving (most notably Americablog, and Tbogg's talked about the problems, but hasn't said anything about relocation).

For another, Word Press offers some options that Blogger doesn't that would be nice to have back. Some of you who were here in the iBlog days on my .Mac homepage recall that I could assign categories to posts, something I can't do here. The template options I've seen trolling around also look nicer, and offer some more flexibility for customization.

Lastly, Word Press is also functional via web, which was one of the reasons I went to Blogger from iBlog. That combined with the fact that I can also do some posts by email once I figure that trick out sold me to make the move.

If you want, you can see a brief glimpse of the new space at theblueparrot.org. As memory serves, that was the name of Signor Ferrari's cafe/bar in Casablanca, operated in competition with Rick's Cafe Americain. I had thought about doing a url more in line with Rick's, but there are already a couple of bloggers out there who've staked that riff out pretty well. So I'll take my new space and carve my own niche.

Will announce when the move occurs here, and this site will still be active for archive purposes, though there is a way to import the archives from blogger to Word Press if I can get it to work right. Fingers crossed.

Anyway, just wanted to keep all five of you posted :-). Later.

Update: Actually, do go to the new site, to provide some input on layout options. Thanks!