From: keyser72@mac.com Subject: Date: April 21, 2005 3:53:51 PM CDT Hankblog

Monday, March 15, 2004

Spain tragedy and outrage

Norbizness is a site I usually read for a laugh or two, but in a post he put up yesterday, he really summed up some of the outrage I felt as I saw how some of the sentiment directed towards Spain after the horrific bombings last week turned from sympathy to bitter resentment. The idea that people could say that the Spanish people are "surrendering" to al Qaeda by voting out a party that supported a war in Iraq against the will of the people is political posturing of the most grotesque variety. People, it's called democracy. We even have some hints of it here. The only thing I can think of that might explain some of the sentiments I have read is that those parties are afraid the same thing will happen here come November. I think they have good reason to be afraid.

On the flip side, Josh Marshall at Talking Points Memo has a very well reasoned analysis on what the elections really mean, and what they potentially mean in the context of Iraq and the war on terrorism. It's a common statement on blogs, but I haven't made it since I started this one: Go read this now!

Lastly, Atrios has a link to a lengthy story on Salon that gives you a summary history on how Spain has evolved to come to the point they were at with the elctions this last weekend. As I've mentioned before, if you're not a Salon subscriber, you can view the whole thing if you view an ad. It's a lengthy read, but well worth it if you'd like to understand more about what's gone on in Spain since the bombings, as well as before.

Norbizness also had a link to what appears to be the Spanish chapter of the Red Cross to benefit the victims of the Spanish train bombings. If you could go and drop a few Euros their way, thank you and god bless.

PS: I freely admit to being one of the most non-Hispanic Hispanics out there, so I can't read the Spanish on the Red Cross site to confirm what it is there for. If someone out there who's fluent can give it a look see and let me know in comments if this assumption is incorrect, I'll update.