From: keyser72@mac.com Subject: Date: April 21, 2005 3:53:51 PM CDT Hankblog: Book Meme

Friday, April 08, 2005

Book Meme

Some of the bloggers I read have gotten into a literary frame of mind. Lindsay at Majikthise was the first blogger I read who had the below questions. Amanda at Pandagon follows up. My offerings:

You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be [saved]?

That's a tough one to start, but an important question. I think if I had to save one book that I've read, and extending the analogy further if I were to have to memorize said book to share as one of the Book People, I'd choose Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo. One of the most compelling anti-war arguments I've ever read in the fictionalization of one survivor of a horrific explosion during WWI. Deeply disturbing and very moving.

Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?

I used to associate the character Frannie in The Stand with my friend Alisa (before you got pregnant dear, so no, that wasn't the connection ;-)). So I think by extension, since Alisa was my first love, I think that connection lead to a short term crush.

The last book you bought is?

Reflecting my current obsession, Playing Poker Like the Pros by Phil Hellmuth.

What are you currently reading?

The Hellmuth book, and in the same vein Positively Fifth Street by James McManus about the Binion murder and the World Series of Poker. I'm also most of the way through Seabiscuit, and it blows the movie away.

Five books you would take to a deserted island?

1. Stephen King's The Stand (if I'm going to feel like the last man on Earth, why not?)
2. Live from Golgotha by Gore Vidal (irreverant humor would be needed)
3. Ball Four by James Bouton (need my baseball fix)
4. Fight Club by Chuck Palhanuik (catharsis ahoy)
5. A Midsummer Night's Dream by Shakespeare (my favorite Shakespeare)

Who are you going to pass this stick to (3 persons) and why?

My girlfriend, because she just started a blog, and needs material ;-).

Paddy, because I work with him, and he's also got a blog.
Eric at Websnark, because if by some fluke he reads my blog, I think it would be cool to see what he reads.

Offer up your selections in the comments.

Update: Ezra Klein offers his up here, and makes me feel like a chooch for not remembering to bring Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy to the island.

Thank god I remembered my towel.