From: keyser72@mac.com Subject: Date: April 21, 2005 3:53:51 PM CDT Hankblog: Friday Random Ten

Friday, March 18, 2005

Friday Random Ten

As if you couldn't tell, work has slowed a bit. Hence the flurry of posts. So without further ado:

(image couresy of Feministe)

  1. "Plenty More" Squirrel Nut Zippers - a song that music just doesn't seem to jibe with the lyrics.
  2. "Goodnight Song" Tears for Fears - since I picked up Shout: The Very Best of Tears for Fears, I've not realized just how much I liked their stuff.
  3. "Mama Weer All Crazee Now" The Big 6 - British swing band that puts a very different spin on a tune I used to only think of when I had bad 80's Quiet Riot flashbacks.
  4. "Vertigogo" Combustible Edison - off the Four Rooms soundtrack.
  5. "Woo Hoo" The 5,6,7,8's - Seeing them in Kill Bill Vol. 1 doing this song was one of the more surreal aspects of the film for me. Just felt strange seeing this Asian girl rock group doing this weird yodeling type rock and roll number. Yet it all clicks. Go figure.
  6. "Suck My Kiss" Red Hot Chili Peppers - Wish I could claim to have been into the Peppers back before they were mainstream. Reality is I bought Blood Sugar Sex Magic like a bunch of other people when "Give It Away" was on the radio all the frigging time, and then I never came back to the Peppers since.
  7. "Let Me Go" Heaven 17 - yes I'm an 80's baby with my music. Sue me.
  8. "Mercy Street" Herbie Hancock - Was browsing in the Tower Records on the drag when I was still in college, and The New Standard was one of the albums on one of the listening stations at the front. Some great modern jazz interpretations on a variety of pop/rock standards. The cover of "All Apologies" is fantastic.
  9. "Sloop John B" The Beach Boys - One of the few Beach Boys songs that I like even if it is kinda fluff.
  10. "Mr. Fonebone" Leo Kottke - Thanks to my friend Jamie for introducing me to this wizard of 6 and 12 string acoustic guitar.
Feministe's Random 10 here, and Mousewords took time out from SXSW to put hers up as well.