From: keyser72@mac.com Subject: Date: April 21, 2005 3:53:51 PM CDT Hankblog

Tuesday, May 11, 2004

God help me, I'm a sad sad man...

So I was trying to run down John Woo's The Killer for tomorrow's Professional Killer entry (Prizzi's Honor will be up shortly).

Problem is this is a very difficult movie to get a hold of. The definitive DVD version by Criterion has been out of print for some time. It used to trade for ridiculous amounts on ebay (winning bids upwards of $130-150 were not uncommon). There are some other discs that I think come from a US distributor that specializes in Chinese action and martial arts films. But not many places carry it anymore for rental.

So I went to a local video store and found it on VHS. Dubbed, no subtitles. And I couldn't stand it at all.

Not only was it that I have gotten so spoiled by the pristine picture quality of the digital format, but that it drove me nucking futs to not be able to turn the subtitles on and the awful dubbing job off just by clicking on a menu option.

When I was first in school, I used to play Magic: The Gathering, and we would make jokes about the game consisting of "cardboard crack". Now my crack comes in plastic keepcases and digipacks.

Woe is me...