From: keyser72@mac.com Subject: Date: April 21, 2005 3:53:51 PM CDT Hankblog

Monday, March 29, 2004

Nader's windmills

Saw this AP story about Nader possibly coming to some kind of agreement on the next election. I think I'm more in line with Billmon's take on Whiskey Bar. I don't think I "respect" Nader enough to think he could be bought off, as much as I think that Nader's guilty of either ego, or misguided idealism. If his goal is truly to try and establish a true third party option, he would still be running under the Green ticket. But even a fair amount of the higher ups within the Greens don't want Nader to run. The Progressive touches on this fact and Nader chastising the Greens for their reluctance in this editorial. In essence, Nader's quixotic tilt feels very much like an ego driven move, or (pardon the pun) his not being able to see the forest for the trees.

At the same time, I do respect the honest effort to try and bring a third party into being. I voted for Perot in his first try at the Presidency, and would still support his party had it not been hijacked by Pat Robertson. On St Patrick's Day I was stopped by some people out near Austin's Warehouse District on my way home from a single's mixer. There were people out there trying to get Nader added to the ballot in Texas as an independent.

I went back and forth with the woman who was trying to get me to sign, with neither of us making much headway convincing the other. It was then she made a point that convinced me to sign the petition. There's not a snowball's chance in hell of Kerry carrying TX, and since the popular vote doesn't have an impact in the face of the electoral college, why not support the movement while still being able to cast my vote for Kerry when the time comes. I couldn't really argue with that logic.

Long as Kerry carries the states that add up in November to get W out, I'll be happy.